For the public and external users only
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has been live with the Next Generation of CM/ECF (NextGen CM/ECF) since 2014. This was an early step towards the nationwide goal of e-filers using just one username and password to file in all federal courts. Although many federal courts are now live with the NextGen CM/ECF system, some district courts and bankruptcy courts have yet to make the transition.
If you have a legacy (older than 2014) e-filing account in the 9th Circuit, you must complete all the steps below in order to e-file in the 9th Circuit CM/ECF system.
- You must have an individual, upgraded PACER account.
- If you have an individual PACER account, it must be upgraded.
View instructions to upgrade your account here.
- If your office has a shared PACER account, each person who e-files with the 9th Circuit must register for a new individual PACER account. To sign up for a new PACER account, view instructions here. Your office's shared PACER account will continue to work, but each e-filer will need an individual PACER account.
- Then, link your individual PACER account to your legacy 9th Circuit e-filing account.
- If you already have a 9th Circuit e-filing account, view instructions here.
- If you are new to e-filing in the 9th Circuit, view instructions here.
- When you have completed step 1 and step 2 above, you can use your PACER account to e-file in the 9th Circuit.
You will no longer need to remember your 9th Circuit Appellate ECF account username and password.
NextGen CM/ECF has a more modern and easier to use interface for our public filers. For an introduction to Appellate NextGen CM/ECF, click here.
Caution: After your PACER and 9th Circuit e-filing accounts are linked, check the contact information the court has on file for you. The linking process does not automatically update any of the data on file at the court.
- Log in to 9th Circuit CM/ECF here.
- In the menu bar in CM/ECF, click Utilities > Update My Account.
- To update your information, click the Edit My Information button to open the PACER page where you can initiate the update(s) for our court.
If the contact information listed on PACER is correct, you may need to update it twice (once to incorrect information and then back to correct information to "refresh" the information).
For training to walk you through the linking process and help you understand some of the changes in NextGen CM/ECF, go here.
Please submit any questions using this form: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/efiling/submit-question.